One of my favorite memories was made about two years ago. I had just graduated from Carolina and Mom and I went to Columbia to gather the rest of my belongings from my house. My time in Columbia was over and I was preparing to get married in less than a month. It was a bittersweet day for both of us.
Mom would stay with me often while I was in Columbia. She would take me out to dinner and we would always get frozen yogurt. Her visits were highly anticipated by me because it meant I got to eat something other than a Lean Cuisine!
We loaded down my car and said goodbye to my Marion Street house. On the way out of Columbia we passed a billboard for Cottle Strawberry Farms. We both looked at each other and then looked at my back seat. “We’ll just have to make room,” she said.
Those were some of the best strawberries I’d ever eaten! That day was such a great end to my time in Columbia and a great memory to make with Mom right before I got married. We picked strawberries every summer while I was growing up but this time was extra special.
A few weeks ago, we were planning a Mother’s Day luncheon. I signed up for dessert knowing that I wanted to make something with strawberries. I went through all kinds of strawberry shortcake recipes but never found one that really struck me. Then, I saw a strawberry cream pie recipe.
It was delicious! What a perfect dish for summer. It’s creamy, cold and topped with fresh strawberries. It was really easy to make, too. The hardest part was having to wait for it to set!
· 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (I crushed mine in a large Ziploc bag)
· 5 tbsp. butter, melted
· 2 8oz. blocks of cream cheese, room temperature
· 2 cups heavy cream
· 2/3 cups sugar
· 2 tsp. vanilla extract
· 1 carton of strawberries
· ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
While I was taking pictures of my ingredients, Gaffney decided she wanted her picture taken as well.
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until a crumbly, moist mixture forms.
3. Firmly press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom/sides of a pie dish.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, set aside to cool completely.
5. In a medium bowl, use a handheld electric mixer to beat your heavy cream until it holds firm peaks. Set aside.
6. In a separate, larger bowl, mix cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar until smooth and creamy.
7. Fold in about a third of the whipped cream into your cream cheese mixture to lighten it, then add the rest. Gently fold until evenly incorporated and smooth.
8. Spoon filling into your cooled pie crust.
9. Layer sliced strawberries in overlapping rows around the top of the cream.
10.Stick the pie in the fridge for a few hours to allow the filling to firm up.
Optional: Melt ½ cup of chocolate chips and drizzle them over your pie.
Hope you enjoy!
Recipe adapted from justputzing.com
The Supper Table
Easy ideas to help you get them to the table.
We want to feature you! Send us your favorite recipe and you may see it featured here soon!
Follow us on Instagram!
Hey! Did you know that our users have generated 294 widgets within the