I’ve kind of been in a baking slump lately. Do you ever feel like that? Like you make the same thing over and over again? I wanted to try something new but still pretty easy. I came across this recipe by one of my favorite bloggers, Lizzy Early at Your Cup of Cake. She starts all of her recipes with a dry cake mix. She’s my kind of girl!
I feel like I should note that these are husband approved. Drew can be pretty picky about his desserts but he really loved these. I should also add that I sampled my fair share of them and I’ll be adding them to my list of favorite recipes.
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake:
· Devils Food cake mix (just the dry mix)
· 3 eggs
· 1/2 cup oil
· 3/4 cup buttermilk
· 1 cup sour cream
Cream Cheese Frosting:
· 8 oz cream cheese, softened
· ½ cup butter, softened
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
· 3 cups powdered sugar*
· Oreos (for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix eggs, oil, buttermilk and sour cream until combined.
3. Add to cake mix.
4. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
5. Bake according to back of cake mix box, usually it will not take the full baking time.
6. Frosting: Combine cream cheese and butter and whip until light and smooth. Add vanilla and powdered sugar.
*You can add more vanilla and powdered sugar according to your preference in consistency and taste!
I added some sifted Oreo crumbs to my frosting but you don’t have to! If you do, make sure you crush them finely and then sift them into the frosting. If the chunks are too big they will clog the piping bag. I also added some bigger Oreo chunks to the top of the frosting.
These cupcakes do not have to be refrigerated in the first 24 hours.
The Supper Table
Easy ideas to help you get them to the table.
We want to feature you! Send us your favorite recipe and you may see it featured here soon!
Follow us on Instagram!
Hey! Did you know that our users have generated 294 widgets within the