For generations my family has played around the beaches of SC. I wanted those same wonderful experiences I grew up with for my children and now I love nothing better than seeing our granddaughter begin to make that same love connection with the sand and salt water. I’ve learned a lot about what works at the beach with young children and what ideas I could throw out the window. Mainly, you don’t want your day at the beach to be a military operation but there are things that can help you enjoy your day to the max.
1. Remember the sunscreen, sunglasses and hat with an "under chin" tie for your toddler. Extra care now avoids an unhappy baby later.
2. Put “stuff” in a wagon or cart of some kind so you have one hand free to keep hold of your little guy. Going to the beach or not, toddlers love to run in the opposite direction of the way you are going.
3. Bring a large Ziplock bag for those beach treasures you know your toddler will want to bring home. Also bring one for your cell phone and camera. Sometimes the upcoming tide will surprise you!
4. Put snacks in single serving containers. Simple foods such as Goldfish, Cheerios or cheese and turkey cubes put in serving size Ziplock bags work well. (Avoid sticky foods as sand will attract like a magnet!) Small bottled waters or multiple sippy cups work well, too. It’s best to take multiples of everything so if one is dropped into the sand you won’t have a crunchy mouth or a toddler meltdown.
5. Pack baby powder to put on little arms and legs before heading to the car. The wet sand brushes off so much easier when you sprinkle a little on.
6. Meat tenderizer…. Yes, meat tenderizer! From years of experience, sometimes the unplanned happens and a jellyfish swims too close for comfort. One touch and any adult or child will come barreling out of the water for relief. Meat tenderizer combined with enough water to make a paste works best . If you forget and don’t have any tenderizer, make a paste with water and sand and put it directly on the area. The pack will draw out the sting.
Catch this really cute idea!
A friend was at the beach last week and told me of a smart idea for a toddler that they saw while there. They were beside a family who had a small pool under a tent on the beach. The pool was filled with ocean water. We’ve all seen that, right? Well, here’s the cute part. Around the pool they put a 3 foot plastic garden fence (with rounded, safe edges). On the fence they tied all kinds of little toys with cute little ribbons. They even had a frozen teething ring. She said the child played there happily for a very long time and never lost a toy to the sand! When they were ready to leave, they just untied the toys, folded up the fence, packed it into their cart with the tent and chairs and away they went. So creative!
Hope these ideas help make your vacation at the coast a safe and happy one!
“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.” -John 17:1
Mom 2 Mom
Being a mom is not the easiest job in the world but it's one of utmost importance. Sometimes we just need to share the ideas, difficulties and joys in the journey of raising children. We pray Mom2Mom can help.
If you have any ideas or advice to share with our readers, please click the button below to share with us.